This article delves into Otto auto insurance, its advantages and disadvantages, ratings and reviews, and other important details.
Overview of Otto Car Insurance
Otto Insurance, based in Florida, is an online marketplace for insurance. It helps people find various insurance plans, including car insurance. They claim that their service can save you up to $500 a year on your car insurance.
While Otto Insurance has assisted over a million customers in finding the best car insurance rates, it’s not a typical insurance company. Instead of selling insurance directly, Otto Insurance collects your information and matches you with the insurance company that suits your needs and preferences.
Joshua Keller founded the company in 2022 and is the current CEO. There’s limited information available online about Otto Insurance, and they don’t reveal how many insurance companies they partner with. However, they may work with well-known partners like Nationwide, Liberty Mutual, American Family, and AAA Insurance, among others.
Services and Coverage by Otto Car Insurance
To get started with Otto Insurance, you begin by filling out a form on their website. This form asks for your basic info like your name, address, email, and contact details. You also choose the type of insurance you need, such as auto insurance. Once you submit the form, Otto shares your information with over 1,000 partners.
Otto’s goal is to match you with an insurance company that suits your specific needs. Another option is to work with one of Otto Insurance’s licensed agents. These agents will provide you with insurance quotes from different companies, allowing you to compare rates and coverage options to find the right policy.
When you decide on auto insurance, the agent will guide you through the paperwork needed for coverage and explain important details like how to make a claim. Afterward, you can conveniently manage your policy online. This includes checking your coverage details, making adjustments, and paying your premiums online.
Otto Car Insurance Coverage Options
While Otto Insurance offers various services for everyday needs, its primary focus is car insurance. Here’s an overview of the types of auto insurance they provide:
- Collision Insurance: This type shields your car from damage in case of an accident.
- Comprehensive Insurance: It covers incidents like vandalism, theft, or damage from weather conditions.
- Gap Insurance: If your car gets totaled in an accident, Gap Insurance steps in.
- Personal Injury Insurance: This covers medical costs in case of accidents.
- Uninsured Motorist Insurance: It provides protection if your vehicle is damaged by an uninsured driver.
It’s worth noting that Otto Insurance’s website doesn’t mention anything about offering motorcycle insurance.
Otto Car Insurance Quotation
To purchase Otto car insurance, you’ll need to follow these steps:
- Start by going to the website’s homepage.
- Click on the “See My Rates!” option at the top.
- Enter your location’s zip code.
- Select the type of insurance you need, which is auto insurance.
- Fill out a form with your personal information.
- Complete the form and submit it.
Once you’ve finished these steps, you’ll need to wait a bit. The company will then reach out to you with quotes from various insurers. When you have these quotes, you’ll also receive contact details for the different insurance companies. From there, you can get in touch with them directly and proceed with your insurance needs.
Otto Car Insurance Reviews and Ratings
- Otto is user-friendly and entirely free to use. The information they request in their survey is basic, so you won’t have to dig deep into your details.
- Based on the information you provide, you might receive policy quotes from various companies, including major providers.
However, a common issue with insurance marketplaces like Otto is how they share information with numerous insurance companies, resulting in ongoing solicitations, even after you’ve purchased a policy. Many customers have reported receiving these unwanted communications for months.
Otto Car Insurance offers a solution. You can contact the company at [email protected] and request that they erase your information. This can help stop the frustrating emails and phone calls.
- One significant drawback of Otto is the limited control customers have over the volume and source of solicitations they receive.
- Otto provides a list of multiple companies, some of which aren’t even related to insurance.
- The fine print reveals that you’re essentially giving Otto and its partner firms extensive permission to solicit you for insurance and other products.
- The platform doesn’t guarantee that you’ll find an insurance company to provide you with the coverage you need.
Although Otto offers various insurance types, its primary focus is car insurance. The application process for other insurances is similar to car insurance, involving completing a specific survey.
If you still decide to choose Otto Insurance, they highlight the benefits of bundling coverage with renter’s or homeowner’s insurance for a discount.
- Otto car insurance reviews on the company’s website are generally positive. Clients mention saving on their auto insurance plans through Otto’s quote comparison services.
- However, Otto doesn’t receive favorable ratings on platforms like Google and social media. It has several negative reviews and holds a 2.6-star rating on Google and a 1.6 rating on social media sites, such as Facebook. This is often because some users mistake it for an insurance provider when it’s actually a lead-generating site. Despite the website’s disclaimers, some clients report receiving more calls, texts, and emails than actual quotes.
Is Otto Car Insurance Legit?
As previously mentioned, Otto Insurance is a legitimate company, but it’s not an insurance provider. While there’s limited information about the company on the internet, having two different website addresses doesn’t make it illegitimate. According to Crunchbase, the company is owned by entrepreneur Joshua Keller, who has also founded other companies.
Crunchbase reports that the company’s website receives over 1.7 million visits each month. However, the available information about this company is somewhat conflicting and sparse. Because it’s not an insurance company, it lacks a financial strength rating from AM Best. Additionally, it doesn’t appear in J.D. Power’s rankings of auto insurance companies, and it doesn’t currently have a profile on the Better Business Bureau (BBB).
Otto car insurance is a dependable platform for customers. It allows them to compare insurance rates and coverage options from various companies. While there might be a shortage of positive Otto car insurance reviews affecting the company’s reputation and customer satisfaction, the company offers a user-friendly website and experienced agents. This makes it easy to explore different insurance choices.
FAQs about Otto Car Insurance
Is OTTO Insurance accredited by the BBB?
No, the BBB hasn’t accredited OTTO. However, it’s important to note that this doesn’t necessarily mean OTTO isn’t trustworthy. Customer reviews on the BBB website can provide insights into a business’s offerings and services. Currently, OTTO is updating its BBB page, but past user reviews on the BBB website were largely negative.
Is OTTO Insurance legit?
OTTO appears to be a legitimate lead-generation company, but information about it is somewhat limited. Their About page doesn’t offer much insight into their operations or history, and their online presence is relatively small.
How does OTTO Insurance make money?
As a lead-generation business, OTTO likely earns money by connecting customers with other companies. For instance, when someone requests a quote through OTTO and buys coverage from a partner insurer, OTTO may receive a commission, similar to how insurance agents earn commissions for policies they sell.
Is OTTO easy to use?
OTTO’s platform is relatively straightforward. Users answer a few questions about their vehicle, driving history, and personal details in a short questionnaire. However, finding a policy with OTTO isn’t as simple, and many user reviews mention not receiving car insurance quotes or getting lots of calls after submitting their information.
Is OTTO free?
Yes, the OTTO insurance website is free to use. Instead of charging users, lead-generation websites typically earn a commission for each lead they generate. Many of OTTO’s third-party marketing partners, like Alarm Services LLC, Alderson Tile, Kawa Media, and LoanMart, don’t offer insurance products. When you use OTTO, you “pay” with your personal information.