Odie Pet Insurance offers tailored plans designed to protect your beloved pets. With a focus on affordability and comprehensive coverage, it ensures peace of mind for pet owners
About Odie Pet Insurance
Odie started in Agoura Hills, California, in 2020 and later expanded to New York. Miles Thorson, inspired by challenges in insuring his dogs, co-founded Odie. Leveraging over 35 years of insurance knowledge from his family’s business, Thorson Insurance Services, the Odie team designed an easy-to-understand, community-centric pet insurance. They envisioned a company that put pet owners first, making pet health care accessible to everyone.
Pros & Cons
- Affordable rates: Generally, Odie provides lower-than-average costs for both dogs and cats.
- No age or breed restrictions: Unlike some, Odie ensures all ages and breeds.
- Flexible plans: You can tailor Odie’s plans with added benefits like wellness and chiropractic care.
- Broad deductible choices: Pick from a deductible between $50 and $1,000, giving more options than many rivals.
- Reimbursements by mail: Unlike others that use e-transfers, Odie sends checks, which might take longer.
- Dental requirements: Dental cleanings under anesthesia by a vet are needed for periodontal coverage for pets three and up.
- Reimbursement up to 90%: Some insurers cover the whole bill post-deductible. Odie’s max is 90%.
- Unavailable in Alaska: Those in Alaska can’t access Odie and must seek other insurers.
Odie Pet Insurance: A Detailed Review
Odie pet insurance caters to modern pet parents, offering a seamless online experience. Customers can buy insurance directly from their website and instantly get their policy documents. Additionally, pet owners can use a 24/7 portal to manage their accounts, handle claims, and include multiple pets.
Odie provides three accident and illness plans for dogs and cats based on their annual benefit limit. While these plans aren’t as all-inclusive as some competitors, to cover treatments like specific medications and rehab, which many other plans include, you’d need to purchase additional riders.
Odie’s standard accident and illness policies don’t cover exams, rehab, or wellness care. But, you can enhance your coverage with these add-ons:
- Extra Coverage: This rider reimburses you for emergency vet exams, take-home meds, and rehab treatments like physical therapy and acupuncture given by a vet.
- Routine Care: This is Odie’s wellness package. It gives you money back for preventive treatments like dental cleanings and shots. Choose between two tiers: Routine Care offers up to $305, while Routine Care Plus gives up to $535 annually.
Odie, like other pet insurers, has set waiting periods. Illnesses have a 14-day wait, while injuries only need three days. However, cruciate ligament issues stand out with a longer six-month waiting period.
When you buy an Odie pet insurance, you get a 30-day window from the policy start date to reconsider. Cancel within this time, and Odie refunds all premiums. After 30 days, you can still cancel anytime by emailing them, but there’ll be no refunds for the insured period.
Odie won’t cover any pre-existing conditions or issues affecting the opposite limb of a prior injury. While their extra coverage includes some prescription medications, it only pays for those on its approved list. To cover take-home medicines, you need the Extra Care package. Odie also doesn’t cover prescription diets or behavioral treatments.
Odie checks your pet’s medical records from the last 18 months before the policy starts to spot pre-existing conditions. Any issues found during this time or during waiting periods won’t be covered. If your pet breed is prone to chronic diseases, it’s essential to thoroughly read the policy details and exclusions before buying.
Odie offers three plans with annual limits of $5,000, $10,000, and $40,000. You can choose reimbursements from 70% to 90% and deductibles between $50 and $1,000. Odie claims its plans are 15% to 30% cheaper than similar options from other companies. In fact, the average monthly cost for their accident and illness coverage is around $36.68, although prices can change based on your pet’s age, breed, and where you live.
If you want more, you can add wellness plans starting at $14 per month or go for the enhanced Routine Care Plus at $23 monthly. Got multiple pets? Odie gives a 5% discount for each additional pet. Plus, it’s easy to get a quote and buy coverage all online with Odie.
How Premiums Are Set
Pet insurance costs depend on several things:
- Type of Pet: Insuring cats usually costs less than dogs.
- Breed: Purebred pets often have higher rates than mixed breeds. Some breeds might cost more due to health risks.
- Age: Insuring younger pets is cheaper. As pets age, they might face more health problems, raising their rates.
- Location: Where you live can affect your rate. For instance, city dwellers might pay more due to higher vet costs in cities.
- Plan Choices: The annual limit, reimbursement percentage, and deductible you pick can also influence your premium.
You can send a claim to Odie within 180 days of your pet’s treatment. Submit it online, email it to [email protected], or fax it to 530-285-4258. For your first claim, provide your pet’s medical records from the last 18 months and your vet’s bill and receipt. Odie aims to handle claims in five days. They’ll send your reimbursement check by mail, which should arrive in 1-2 weeks.
You can reach Odie’s customer support through email, phone, or chat from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. CST, Monday to Friday. Email them at [email protected] or call at (877) 327-0471. If you have a policy, use the portal to adjust it or use the 24/7 televet service to chat with a vet about your pet’s health.
Odie offers pet insurance but doesn’t write the policies itself. Norse Specialty Insurance Services administers the program, while Clear Blue Insurance Group underwrites it. Founded in 2015, Clear Blue provides various insurances and has an A- rating from AM Best, indicating strong financial health.
Although Odie has no complaints with the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau and few Trustpilot reviews, the feedback is mainly positive. One satisfied customer said, “Odie is caring and sincere about animals. I’d recommend them to all pet owners.”
Odie Pet Insurance: Frequently Asked Questions
What are the advantages of Odie pet insurance?
Odie stands out for its notably affordable rates. They assert their plans are 15% to 30% less expensive than rivals. On average, Odie charges about $25 monthly for dog insurance and $10 for cat coverage. However, final costs can fluctuate based on added features, your pet’s breed, age, and your location.
How do I file a claim with Odie?
To file a claim, sign in to your Odie Member Portal. For your initial claim, upload the last 18 months of your pet’s medical records. Once done, click on Submit Claim and follow the instructions. Complete the provided questionnaire and attach the vet’s invoice and receipt.
After submitting, a notification will pop up on the top right of your screen. You can monitor the status of your claim within your member portal.
Who underwrites Odie pet insurance?
Odie Pet Insurance Marketing, Inc is managed by Norse Specialty Insurance and backed by PrimeOne Insurance Company and Clear Blue Insurance Group.
What is Odie’s Prescription Formulary?
Odie’s Prescription Formulary includes over 950 medications, available with the Take Home Prescription Medication Coverage add-on.
What are Odie’s waiting periods?
Odie’s insurance has waiting periods before coverage starts. It’s 14 days for illnesses, three days for accidents, and six months for cruciate ligament issues. You’ll only get reimbursed by Odie after these waiting periods.
Odie Pet Insurance stands out for its flexibility and cost-effective plans, making pet healthcare more accessible. Its commitment to pet well-being makes it a top choice for discerning pet owners.