When it comes to military car insurance, having the right coverage and discounts can make a significant difference. Three major players in the field, USAA, GEICO, and Armed Forces Insurance, offer tailored solutions for military members and their families. Whether you’re an active service member, veteran, or retired military personnel, this article will help you navigate the landscape of military car insurance for veterans and find the best fit for your needs.
Car Insurance for Veterans: Key takeaways
- USAA: Best Overall for Military Members and Families
- GEICO : Best Military Discount
- Armed Forces Insurance Best for Veterans and Retired Military
Average annual full coverage rates
|Company average monthly full coverage premium
|Company average annual full coverage premium
|Armed Forces Insurance (AFI)
USAA is all about the military community. They’re there for current and former service members and their families, providing specialized coverage, some seriously cool discounts, and top-tier customer service. As a result, that’s why they snag the number one spot in our lineup of the best military car insurance options.
Pros and cons
- Convenient one-stop solution for insurance and banking requirements
- Nationwide availability
- Provides numerous distinctive discounts for military personnel
- Eligibility is narrowly confined to present or former military members, their spouses, and offspring
USAA, like many other car insurance providers, includes coverage for various scenarios:
- Coverage for bodily injury liability
- Protection for property damage liability
- Collision and comprehensive coverage
- Insurance against uninsured motorists
- Personal injury protection and medical payments coverage
- Roadside assistance and towing services
- Reimbursement for rental cars
USAA doesn’t stop at car coverage. They’ve got your back for motorcycles, RVs, and boats too. But that’s not all. USAA goes the extra mile by offering rideshare coverage for Lyft and Uber drivers. So hey’ve got you covered on the home front as well with options for homeowners and renters insurance, plus life insurance. And so if that’s not enough, USAA members can even choose extra health insurance perks, pet insurance, and a whole bunch of other unique coverage options. It’s like a one-stop shop for all your insurance needs.
USAA’s got some exclusive deals for military members that are pretty cool.
First off, if you’re in the military and you leave your vehicle on a military base, USAA will chop 15% off your comprehensive coverage bill. And here’s a big one – if your car is sitting somewhere overseas while you’re on duty, USAA goes all out and drops a massive 60% off your monthly premium.
And if your parents were part of the USAA club, you get a special legacy discount of 10%.
But that’s not all. USAA isn’t done yet; they’ve also got the regular discounts that most other insurance companies offer:
- Multi-car and multi-policy discounts
- Safe driver discounts
- Good student discount
- Loyalty discounts
USAA extends its coverage across all 50 states, including Washington, D.C., while maintaining specific eligibility criteria. Eligible individuals comprise:
- Active-duty personnel from the Air Force, Army, Coast Guard, Marines, Navy, and National Guard.
- Retired or honorably discharged military members.
- Those enrolled in U.S. service academies, part of advanced ROTC, or on ROTC scholarships, along with officer candidates within 24 months of commissioning.
- Immediate family members, encompassing current spouses, widows, widowers, unremarried former spouses, and children whose parents currently hold or have held USAA insurance.
- USAA’s commitment to providing exceptional service to military members and their families results in exceptional customer satisfaction. The company boasts some of the industry’s highest customer approval ratings. Notably, USAA received top honors from J.D. Power in its 2023 U.S. Auto Insurance Study. USAA also excels in terms of financial strength, maintaining an A++ rating from AM Best.
Did you know that GEICO – car Insurance for Veterans, an acronym for Government Employees Insurance Company, is renowned for offering remarkable military car insurance discounts? So rmed with this knowledge, it’s unsurprising that they provide some of the most competitive deals in the field.
Pros and Cons
- A generous 15% discount extended to all current and former military personnel.
- Comprehensive coverage and an array of discount options.
- Availability spanning all 50 states.
- Fewer options and discounts for those on active duty deployment compared to what USAA provides.
- Absence of discounts for military members’ children.
GEICO presents an extensive range of car insurance coverage options, among the most comprehensive in the nation. They offer various types of coverage, including:
- Bodily injury and property damage liability coverage.
- Collision and comprehensive coverage.
- Personal injury protection.
- Uninsured motorist coverage.
- Mechanical breakdown insurance.
- Emergency roadside assistance.
- Rental car reimbursement.
GEICO also caters to a variety of vehicles, such as motorcycles, all-terrain vehicles (ATVs), boats, and RVs. For those using their vehicles for multiple purposes, the company even offers Mexican travel insurance, antique auto coverage, and commercial vehicle policies.
In addition to vehicle coverage, GEICO extends its reach to other insurance categories. They include homeowners and renters insurance, personal liability insurance, life insurance, and identity theft protection.
GEICO’s military car insurance for veterans stands out for its extensive range of discount options. To be more specific, an enticing 15% discount is offered to all active duty and retired military personnel, including National Guard and reserves, with no prerequisites required.
Additionally, GEICO extends emergency deployment discounts to individuals stationed in “imminent danger” areas who store their vehicles during deployment. Federal employees and retired military personnel with federal jobs can also benefit from discounts on their monthly premiums.
Beyond military-specific discounts, GEICO provides nearly 20 other discount options based on various factors. These include your vehicle’s equipment, driving history, loyalty to GEICO, and any applicable driver’s training. So to determine your potential savings, obtaining a free online quote is a simple and effective method.
With coverage in all 50 states and Washington, D.C., GEICO offers a standout solution across the entire nation. Their eligibility criteria are expansive, accommodating anyone seeking car insurance and a diverse array of discounts.
Armed Forces Insurance (AFI)
USAA isn’t the sole provider catering exclusively to military members and their families. Armed Forces Insurance (AFI), established since 1887, is a notable alternative to consider when comparing car insurance quotes. If you’re a veteran or retired military member, exploring AFI’s offerings is advisable.
Pros and cons
- A reputable history of competitive coverage.
- Inclusive coverage for civilian employees working in military roles.
- Nationwide availability in all 50 states.
- Lack of specified discounts on the website.
- Extensive information required for obtaining online quotes.
Armed Forces Insurance’s coverage extends to the policyholder, their spouse, and family members residing in the same household, along with authorized drivers.
This encompassing coverage includes bodily injury and property damage liability, collision, comprehensive, personal injury protection, medical payments, uninsured and under-insured motorist coverage, as well as emergency roadside assistance. Moreover, it offers rental car reimbursement.
AFI’s offerings are reminiscent of USAA, featuring an array of insurance products, ranging from home and renters insurance to motorcycle and recreational vehicle coverage.
This comprehensive selection caters to various needs, further complemented by distinctive policy options, such as fire and flood insurance, valuable items coverage, pet insurance, and umbrella policies.
AFI does not specify discounts on its website and requires detailed information for online quotes. While competitive rates are promised, qualifying discounts may be visible during the quote process or upon inquiry with the company.
Armed Forces Insurance extends its services across all 50 states and Washington, D.C. through a network of affiliates. Similar to USAA, AFI exclusively caters to specific groups when enrolling in car insurance policies:
- Active duty, retired, or honorably discharged military members from any branch.
- Active or retired civilian employees of the Department of Defense or Department of Veterans Affairs.
- Service Academy members, including Merchant Marines and ROTC cadets.
- Eligible family members, including children, spouses, ex-spouses, or surviving spouses.
- Active, retired, or former commissioned officers of the NOAA or PHS.
- Members of organizations like the Civil Air Patrol, Coast Guard Auxiliary, Merchant Marine, Military Auxiliary Radio System, and Marine Corps Auxiliary.
- Former AFI members who canceled coverage and later returned.
Car Insurance For Veterans: Bottom Line
Car insurance for veterans acknowledges the service and sacrifices of military personnel by offering specialized coverage options and discounts. So his ensures that those who have served have access to affordable and comprehensive vehicle protection that respects their unique needs and honors their commitment to the nation.